Be it recreational or competitive, sports and sporting events have been important aspects of student and community life at IISER TVM. Over the years there has been increased participation of students, faculty and staff in these events and the Institute administration has been continuously upgrading existing facilities and creating more sporting infrastructure, much to the delight and satisfaction of the IISER community.
The outdoor facilities at the IISER TVM include
- Football and Cricket ground
- Basketball court
- Volleyball court
The indoor facilities include
- Table tennis halls
- Yoga Hall
- Basketball court
- Badminton courts
The following facilities would become operational in the coming months
- Kho-Kho court
- Kabaddi court
- Futsal court
The Sports council is a unit of the Student Affairs Council (SAC) that facilitates discussion on all sports matters of the Institute.
- Sports Council Faculty In charge – Dr. Sudarshan Kumar
- Sports Council Student representative – Mr. Sanjay M S, Secretary Sports Council
Responsibilities of the Sports Council
- Organize sporting events
- Maintenance of all Sports facilities
- Coordinate coaching camps and training of students
- Selection of teams
- Documenting and publishing all sports related activities in appropriate
- Facilitating body between students and Institute management for all sports related activities.
Other Physical Education activities
Yoga – The practice of Yoga has always been encouraged, supported and popularized in the Institute as a means to mental and physical well-being. There is a designated Yoga hall within the campus where Introductory classes and training sessions are offered as and when required/possible. The Sports Council celebrates the International Day of Yoga with competitions, talks and Yoga demonstration sessions.
Marathons, Half Marathons and Unity Run – Our students, staff and faculty take an active interest in the marathon events and have participated in the Trivandrum Marathon, Kannur Half-Marathon. In the Unity Runs organized by the Institute, to mark the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhai Patel, the number of participants has seen a steady increase over the years.
Fit India Run is a pan India event organized by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports encouraging Indian citizens above the age of 18 years to participate in athletic events to stay fit and healthy. Students, faculty and staff of the Institute participate in this event, compare, compete and edge one another on, to attain set running goals.
Fun games during special occasions – Onam, Diwali and friendly matches on National Sports Day are organized by the Sports council. The fun games are open to all and is an event that is much awaited each year.
Awards and Honors
To honor and encourage students who excel in sports, IISER TVM has instituted the following awards
- Sports Citation is given to students, from the graduating batch, who have consistently won laurels for the Institute, in competitive events and have remained outstanding sportspersons demonstrating phenomenal sports and sportsmanship all through their years of study at the Institute.
- Roll of Honor is given to one student every year, from the graduating batch, as a token of appreciation for their overall contribution to the development of sports in the Institute, and for the awards won by them, across the years, at IISM, ITSAV and other competitive events.
- Sports Color is awarded to students for exceptionally brilliant performance in both ITSAV and IISM.
- Sportsman of the Year award goes to the male student who has displayed remarkable and outstanding skill and won prizes for the Institute in all sporting events conducted in the year.
- Sportswoman of the Year award goes to the female student who has displayed remarkable and outstanding skill and won prizes for the Institute in all sporting events conducted in the year.
- Special Mention Certificates are given to participants who may not have contributed to the medal tally, but played exceptional sports.
- Sports streak is an award given to students who received the Sports color award the previous year, and have maintained their performance in all sporting events in the current year as well.
- Emerging player title is given to those students who have displayed amazing talent in their first IISM and show exceptional promise for future years.